3.11.2009

NOT AFRAID TO LEARN NEW TRICKS
So the other day I learned a new trick that I'm pretty excited about (in a sheepish kind of way). The girls had been needier than usual all afternoon. It was 6:00, "dinner" was almost done, and I just needed five minutes of silence before the start of the third period. My husband called to say that he was on his way home from work (more on that later), so I prepared the girls and told them that they should find a really good hiding place and surprise Daddy when he came home. I suggested a few key spots in the house, supplied jackets, blankets and other ideal camouflage gear, and told them that I'd let them know when Daddy pulled into the driveway (which is a much easier maneuver now that "Black Betty" has joined the family). Turns out, the girls cooperated fabulously. Five minutes passed by-- silence. Ten minutes passed by-- silence. Fifteen minutes passed by and I heard only one peep . . . "Is he here yet?" It was magical. Probably twenty minutes passed by when the troops became restless and gave up, which was fine. Because it was twenty minutes of silence that gave me the strength to charge into overtime (because "on his way home" really meant "on his way home after a quick beer)."

No comments:

Post a Comment