6.01.2009

2 BIRTHDAYS plus 2 FUNERALS last week
equals dehydration, bittersweet emotions and lessons learned:

Birthday #1 / T.O.
I learned that that drinking too many limeade cocktails limits my ability to filter . . . and can be dangerous . . . in more ways than one.
I also learned that my husband can run at a 10 mph pace on a 10% grade incline for at least a minute after consuming a generous amount of beer.

Birthday #2 / T.M.
I learned that the age of 40 really isn't really old anymore (even though it was ancient when my parents were 40).
I also learned that sometimes with unexpected sightings come purpose, character and overwhelming comfort.

Funeral #1 / J.C.
I learned that funerals are an odd, yet magical way of bringing friends closer together and that surrounding yourself with close friends of your deceased parents is therapeutic.
I also learned that as you get older, it probably doesn't really matter if your 65 year old friend shows up in a robin's egg blue suit with cowboy boots. Because as time goes by, there is probably less judgement and more focus on what really matters (like "What was he thinking?").

Funeral #2 / T.Y.
I learned that life is unfair, and that every day is a gift. Because we really don't know when it's our time to go . . . or God forbid, our children's time to go.
Lastly, I learned that sometimes it's okay to just hug and say nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment