6.11.2009



ONE LOVE

Over the years I've watched a fair bit of women's soccer highlights online . . . some high school, some college, some of the US Women's National team. They all inspire me. They all fire me up. They are all reminders of why I love the sport so much. Just today, however, I came across this video that stood out more than any other I've seen. It's totally random and has a high goose bump factor (the music selection helped, of course). I'm not sure exactly how I found it (highlights of the Quinnipiac University women's soccer team in Hamden, Connecticut . . . um, never heard of them), but it instantly reminded me of my college soccer experience and all of the memories gained during my four years at Gustavus (another "never heard of it" school).

As Tierney begins her second year of soccer this summer, I can't help but think about her future and what I want for her as she grows up. Be it soccer, curling, ping-pong, synchronized swimming* or ballet, I hope both she and Parker find something that they are 100% passionate about. For me it was soccer. I like to think that soccer provided me with many tools for life: comradeship, sportsmanship, teamwork, self-confidence, physical and mental toughness (running excluded, of course), and respect for leadership, just to name a few. This video illustrates all of that and more.

*(Okay, maybe not synchronized swimming so much . . . that's TOTALLY going to come back to haunt me, I know it).


Check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment